FITNESS FOR LESS
Our own neighbor, Anne Crais was honored at the Healthier TN Gala!
"Outstanding Neighborhood Resident of the Year 2019"
A Message from Anne Crais:
I am so excited to report that the neighborhood of West Hills here in Knoxville has achieved several goals and awards. I would like to see if it would be appropriate to ask City Council if a group of us can attend the March 12 meeting at 6 pm.
We would like to show you the awards and see if you can help us find a permanent place to install them? There is a large metal sign with Healthier TN designation and a blue flag that would go with that sign.
Our neighborhood was recognized recently at the Healthier TN Gala event in Franklin, TN and I was present to receive this designation for our whole neighborhood. We were also given a standing plaque recognizing our neighborhood as achieving the Bronze level status. Where can we locate this plaque?
Knoxville has plenty of opportunities to get fit for less. Keep those New Year's Resolutions while saving some money!
West Knoxville Area
· Group Run at Bearden Beer Market, 6:30pm Mondays
· Social Run at The Long Run, 6pm Tuesdays
· Group Run at Runner's Market Bearden, 5:30pm Wednesdays
· Ladies' Run at The Long Run, 9:30am Wednesdays
· Timed Walk/Run 5K at Third Creek Greenway, 9am Saturdays
· Cardio at West Park Baptist w/Covenant Health, 9am Mondays & Wednesdays. $3
· Yoga at Sequoyah Hills Presbyterian w/Covenant Health, 10:15am Mondays,
10am Wednesdays. $3
· Cardio, Strength, Stretch at Central Baptist Bearden w/Covenant Health, 9am Tuesdays & Fridays $3
· Women's Bootcamp w/FIA at Founder's Park, 6am Mondays & Wednesdays
· Women's Bootcamp w/FIA at Lakeshore Park Chapel 7:15 Tuesdays & Saturdays
· Men's Bootcamp w/F3 at Lakeshore Park, 5:30am M-F, 5:45 pm Tuesdays & Thursdays, 6:60am Sat
· Men's Bootcamp w/F3 at John Bynon Park 4:50am Fridays
· Ramble Ride at DreamBikes, 7pm Thursdays
· Gravel Rides w/TN Valley Bicycles, 12pm Sundays Locations vary
For more information on activities outside on West Knox:
A New Initiative for Us!
The Governor’s Foundation for Health and Wellness is including our neighborhood in the Healthier TN Neighborhood list. We are focusing on finding more neighbors who are interested in pursuing activities to promote physical activity, healthier eating and encouraging tobacco cessation in our community. There is also a proposal for finding help for a community garden or individual gardens in neighbor’s yards.
The plans are underway. Please contact
Anne Crais 865)360-9008 or if you wish to be involved in this worthy cause.
About Healthier Tennessee
The Governor’s Foundation for Health and Wellness is a nonprofit, 501(c)(3) corporation dedicated to enabling and encouraging Tennesseans to lead healthier lives. Based in Nashville, the Foundation brings together a statewide coalition of employers, health insurers, hospital systems, local governments, school systems and healthcare-focused foundations andcommunity organizations to effect positive, measurable change.
The Foundation’s Healthier Tennessee initiative strives to increase the number of Tennesseans who are physically active for at least 30 minutes five times a week, promote a healthy diet, and reduce the number of people who use tobacco. The Foundation is funded through a combination of public and private-sector sources and is guided by a board of directors. A staff of 10 professionals has been assembled to direct the Foundation and implement the Healthier Tennessee initiative.
WELLNESS CHALLENGE for WNCA:
Our challenge to be physically active, eat healthier and encourage tobacco cessation continues. We have about 11 neighbors walking, biking, swimming each week to log miles for the TN Wellness Challenge. About eight of us have met the challenge of a Marathon in a Month - logging 26 miles or more in June. We would love to have more folks involved, if you are willing to share your information with Anne Crais (865)360-9008 or email to